Skip to main content

Unbagging

When you buy your stuff in China, there are a couple of things you know for sure, and a couple of things you never know. You know that it will take long to arrive. But you never know how long exactly.
That is as annoying as it is a treat! Of course, if you want to have something, waiting for it to arrive some 3 to even 6 weeks is long. But it is always a pleasant surprise when your package arrives. It's like getting a present every time a package arrives 😃

This time, my package is even more a present than all packages before... I was asked by GearBest to review some RC stuff for them. And now, there was this present for me at the local postal service office...

It's a BFight 210 FPV quadcopter, and since I don't have any FPV equipment yet, it came with budget type goggles: LS-800D. As you can see, it came in this plastic bag, as most of the larger things sent from China seem to be.


Inside the bag: a box, and anothe bag...
The secondary bag contains the goggles in a case, and the box then must container the quadcopter...

Still no sign of it!


Ah! There it is! Underneeth the Gemfan props, along with a manual, and a little bag with zip-ties, Velcro straps, and an antenna adapter cable.


A very nice first impression of a neatly constructed Carbon frame. Motor wires tucked away in this colourful blue mesh. A neat little power and control stack, with 30A BL-Heli (D-shot600) ESCs. The arms are 4mm thick, but narrow. That gives enough rigidity, while keeping everything as light as possible. FPV camera on one end, dipole antenna for the video transmission on the other. In my version, there is a FlySky receiver, tucked in between the OMNIBUS F3 flightcontroller and the video transmitter. You can just about see the yellow I-bus wire go to the flight controller, and the little black antenna wire hanging off to the side.

The dipole antenna does need to be fixated and stiffened with a tie wrap and the heat shrink tube that came with the quad, in order to keep it away from the props in flight. I will do that later. Like this, it is smaller during transport, so it is understandable that they did not stiffen it up yet.
Another possibility would be to replace the dipole with the provided antenna adapter cable, which mounts nicely in the hole the dipole sticks through in the above picture. You could then screw on your own Aomway cloverleafs, or so, if you have any (I don't).
The Video Transmitter is selctable 25mW, or 200mW. There is no 600mW option on this one.

I just love the look and feel of those motors. Way much better feel to it than the cheap motors I used for my very first self-build (see the first few posts of this blog). They are clockwise and counter-clockwise motors, with the appropriate thread. What I don't really understand is why one would then need lock nuts, if they are self-tightning anyway. Or maybe those motors also brake very powerful? We'll see when we fire her up!

The camera is a standard HS1177 600TVL non-branded one, that does a 16:9 ratio - which is good for the screen inside the goggles (but more on that later)

The weight - less the battery - comes to 288 grams. This is with the bag still around the props, but without the Tie-wrap / shrink tube stiffening of the antenna, so I won't be off more than a couple of grams, there.

The Goggles come in their own pouch, which is nice for transport later on. There's a manual and a little plastic bag with extras tucked in there too.

The "extras" are a USB power plug, micro-USB cable for charging, an AV in or out cable, a cloverleaf antenna, and a patch antenna.
Unfortunately, the power plug is a US style one, while  live in Europe. But I still have a couple of those laying around, so that is not so much of a problem.
The goggles can be split in two, with the one part being the part that straps to your head (including a lens), and the other part includes the screen, receiver, battery, all the buttons. So you can use that part as a separate screen as well. I like that idea!

One downside I immediately discovered, even before turning anything on: the housing material is very susceptible to fingerprint marks.  That will even out with use, but after these first five minutes, the goggles look like I picked them up during a copulous spare-ribs dinner.


I will be firing up this set shortly, so keep an eye out for the next episode!
In the mean time, if you are interested in checking out the specs of this quad and the goggles, here's the links to them:

LS-800D

At some €150, and €50 respectively, this is a nicely priced set if you are just starting out in the FPV arena, like I am. But will it deliver? Stay tuned to find out! (you can subscribe to this blog via the menu, top-right)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tevo Tarantula prints

I am very happy with my Tevo Tarantula 3D printer! I have it up and running for about 6 weeks now. Let me tell you about my prints so far! Reading all the forums, facebook groups, and of course the Tevo website, I decided on the way forward after finishing the build. First, I would need to be able to print dimensionally reasonably accurate parts. In order to achieve that, I fist took a  look at the extrusion. It is important that the extruder extrudes the commanded length of filament, to within a few percent. To check that, I fed in the filament for only a few centimeters. With that as "0", I measured 120mm from the infeed side of the extruder, and marked the filament with a black marker. Then, I commanded the extruder to feed 100mm into the teflon tube, and mesured how far from the extruder infeed side the mark ended up. That should be 20mm, of course, but in my case it was less than that. So I had to tune down my extruder a bit. As I measured 17mm, it had "over-

Binding FrSky S8R stabilizing receiver

What could be easier than binding a receiver to a transmitter, right? Push the bind button while powering up the receiver, put the transmitter in binding mode, wait a few seconds, done! Well ... With the FrSky S8R receiver, there are a few "other possibilities"...

ZOHD Talon GT with Matek F405 WING, GPS, BlueTooth, FPV, Long Range - Part 1

This is going to be a small series of me assembling a ZOHD Talon GT in an INAV configuration. I have the Talon on order already, and am waiting for it to arrive. Banggood was kind enough to supply me with a MATEK F405 WING flightcontroller, a Ublox M8N GPS , and an FrSky XM+ receiver to test this configuration 😁 The Talon was paid for regularly, mind you. Just to be clear and transparent on that. This makes an INAV configuration possible, but the most obvious next step would be to introduce a long-range transmitter module / receiver combo. The XM+ shoud have a decent enough range to fly line of sight, and maybe some FPV, a little further out, but an FrSky R9M setup (ca. €100), or even better: a Crossfire setup  (ca. €200), would be the way to go for this type of flying. I don't have those yet, so donations are always welcome! That can be as simple as clicking on any of the (affiliate product links in this blog, and ordering something from those stores that are linked. It do