Skip to main content

How it all started

As a Mechanical Engineer, working in the machine-building industry, I got interested in the possibilities of IoT applications. So I started reading up on the subject of sensors, and data processing. I soon stumbled upon the Arduino environment. It's a relatively easy programming environment (C++) which can be used to program relatively cheap I/O boards of that same brand (or even cheaper Chinese clones thereof).

After some simpler projects with data collection from sensors, data manipulation, and outputting a response (like reading an RFID chip, checking against known chips, outputting an LED color dependent on the ID) I more or less accidentally found a website of a guy that had made a quadcopter flight controller out of an Arduino. Since I am interested in anything that flies, I sort of wanted to be able to do the same. But then again, I did not want to spend much money on a project with a high risk of failure, so I "chopped it up" in smaller pieces.
First of all, I would need a transmitter and a receiver, and let the receiver "talk" to the Arduino flightcontroller-to-be. The input of the Arduino would be a 4-channel PWM signal. That's a "Pulse Width Modulation" signal, which consists of one pulse per channel with a pulse length (width on a time plot) of 1000 micro seconds to 2000 micro seconds. The length corresponds to the stick position on the transmitter, so 1500 micro seconds is the middle position of the respective stick.
So I went online, and got me the cheapest transmitter / receiver combo I could find: an.FS-I6 transmitter, packaged with an FS-IA6 receiver
I'll spare you the programming details, but after connecting the receiver to the Arduino board, and connecting the Arduino board to an LCD screen, all powerder from a 9V battery, I could read the pulse lengths for each channel, an see that they exactly behaved like expected! 😃


So, now I was confident I would get it all to work. So I ordered a frame, and the power train, plus a brunch of small stuff to get me started (solder, shrink tube, that sort of things). I chose a beefy battery 5000 mAh, 30C 3S, to drive 4 2012 1000KV motors though 30 A ESCs, with 1045 props attached. As a frame, I chose a Q380.
It takes a while for those things to arrive from China, but the price difference is worth the wait, in my opinion. Plus, that would give me some time to complete the program with the most important bit of it all: the PID loop that calculates corrections to the motor control signals that are needed for stable flight. Once the parts were in, I started with laying them all out where I thought I would mount them. Always a good idea to do that before you cut any wires 😉


Then, after a bit of soldering, my first quadcopter was ready to spin up. This was the beginning of a new, addictive hobby... I felt that from the start!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tevo Tarantula prints

I am very happy with my Tevo Tarantula 3D printer! I have it up and running for about 6 weeks now. Let me tell you about my prints so far! Reading all the forums, facebook groups, and of course the Tevo website, I decided on the way forward after finishing the build. First, I would need to be able to print dimensionally reasonably accurate parts. In order to achieve that, I fist took a  look at the extrusion. It is important that the extruder extrudes the commanded length of filament, to within a few percent. To check that, I fed in the filament for only a few centimeters. With that as "0", I measured 120mm from the infeed side of the extruder, and marked the filament with a black marker. Then, I commanded the extruder to feed 100mm into the teflon tube, and mesured how far from the extruder infeed side the mark ended up. That should be 20mm, of course, but in my case it was less than that. So I had to tune down my extruder a bit. As I measured 17mm, it had "over-

Binding FrSky S8R stabilizing receiver

What could be easier than binding a receiver to a transmitter, right? Push the bind button while powering up the receiver, put the transmitter in binding mode, wait a few seconds, done! Well ... With the FrSky S8R receiver, there are a few "other possibilities"...

ZOHD Talon GT with Matek F405 WING, GPS, BlueTooth, FPV, Long Range - Part 1

This is going to be a small series of me assembling a ZOHD Talon GT in an INAV configuration. I have the Talon on order already, and am waiting for it to arrive. Banggood was kind enough to supply me with a MATEK F405 WING flightcontroller, a Ublox M8N GPS , and an FrSky XM+ receiver to test this configuration 😁 The Talon was paid for regularly, mind you. Just to be clear and transparent on that. This makes an INAV configuration possible, but the most obvious next step would be to introduce a long-range transmitter module / receiver combo. The XM+ shoud have a decent enough range to fly line of sight, and maybe some FPV, a little further out, but an FrSky R9M setup (ca. €100), or even better: a Crossfire setup  (ca. €200), would be the way to go for this type of flying. I don't have those yet, so donations are always welcome! That can be as simple as clicking on any of the (affiliate product links in this blog, and ordering something from those stores that are linked. It do